Edgerrin James Ab Workout
1. Lateral Sit-ups (20 reps): Lie on your right side with both legs bent at a 90-degree angle; extend right arm on the floor, straight overhead; Place left hand behind the head and point elbow toward the ceiling; Slowly lift the rib cage toward the hip without pressing on the floor with the right arm; Do one set of reps and repeat on the other side.
2. Hyperextensions (10 reps): Lie face down on a bench with a weight (or partner) stabilizing your ankles, and your torso draped over an edge of the bench so that your head is near the floor. With hands on sides of head slowly raise torso to horizontal position. Slowly lower torso back down. Keep head, shoulders and upper back arched. throughout movement.)
3. Leg Hugs (10 reps): Lie face up with arms and legs extended. Raise upper back while bringing knees toward the head, Grab knees and clutch them, pulling the body into a position comparable to a ball. Hold briefly. Release hold, and slowly return to starting position.
4. Russian Twist (20 reps): Lie face up on the floor with fingers clenched behind the head; Bend the knees slightly while keeping feet flat on the floor; Slowly raise shoulders off the ground for a few inches and slowly twist the torso from side to side (you should be turning your right elbow toward the left knee and the left elbow toward the right knee); Return the head to the ground and repeat.
5. Hip Curls (14 reps): Lie face up on a bench with hands behind head and clutching the edge of the bench; Place feet straight out so body is in a prone position; Raise legs by flexing the hips and knees until the thighs are just past perpendicular to the torso; Return legs away from the body until hips and knees are extended. Repeat motion.
6. Jack Knifes (10 reps): Lie face up on the floor with arms straight out (on the floor) reaching away from the body; Straighten the legs and keep toes pointed upwards so entire body is resting on the floor; Raise the shoulders in an attempt to touch the toes while simultaneously lifting the buttocks slightly off the floor; As you lower the shoulders to the floor, drop the legs to the floor at the same time; Repeat the motion as soon as the arms and the legs reach the floor.
7. Reverse trunk twists (20 reps): Lie face up with legs extended and arms straight out at sides. Raise legs perpendicular to floor. Slowly lower feet to right side (feet together, legs straight, muscles tight) until feet are a few inches from the floor. Return to starting position and repeat to left side. One motion to teach side is a rep.
8. Abdominal Crunches (20 reps): Lie face up on the floor with fingers clenched behind the head; Bend the knees slightly while keeping feet flat on the floor; Slowly allow shoulders to raise a few inches off the floor without using the back or pulling on the head with your hands; Return head to the floor and repeat.
9. Jack Knifes (10 reps): Follow previous instructions.
10. Sit-ups with weight on chest (16 reps): Lie face up on the floor with knees slightly bent and hands clenched around weight on the chest; Raise shoulders upward towards the knees while reaching as far as possible; Pause briefly and lower body to starting position: Repeat.
11. Abdominal Crunches (15 reps): Follow previous instructions.
12. Jack Knifes (10 reps): Follow previous instructions.
13. Twisted sit-ups (16 reps): Lie face up, fingers interlocked behind the head. Bring knees toward chest and lift shoulder blades. Straighten left leg to 45 degrees while bringing left elbow toward right knee; Switch sides, bringing right elbow toward left knee. Alternate in a pedaling motion, as if riding a bicycle.
14. Abdominal Crunches (12 reps): Follow previous instructions.
15. Fixed Feet, Twisted Sit-ups (20 reps): Sit down in the sit-up position (fingers laced behind the head and knees slightly bent); Slowly raise the shoulders a few inches off the ground and twist the upper body to the right (you should be trying to touch the left elbow to the right knee); Pause briefly and lower the body back to the starting position; Slowly raise shoulders a few inches off the ground and twist upper body to the left (the right elbow should be trying to touch the left knee this time); Pause briefly and lower the body back to the starting position; Repeat movement and consider one movement to the left and one movement to the right to be one complete set.
16. Abdominal Crunches (10 reps): Follow previous instructions.
17. Jack Knifes (12 reps): Follow previous instructions.
Chadiha, Jeffri. "NFL Workout: Fast and Furious." Sports Illustrated. Sports Illustrated. 7 Jun 2007 <http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/players/10/30/nfl.workout1106/index.html>.